Do you want to make sure your luxury furniture lasts a lifetime?
Luxury furniture isn’t cheap, to say the least.
Chances are that you paid a significant amount of money when you bought it home from your designer furniture store, so it’s critical that you protect your investment going forward. One of the best ways to guarantee this is to maintain your furniture on a regular basis.
While luxury furniture maintenance sounds like a job best left to a knowledgeable professional, the truth is that anyone can keep their furniture in top condition.
Simply follow these important tips!
Know Your Materials
As you can imagine, a wide range of materials are used in the making of luxury furniture. For this reason, there is no one-size-fits-all maintenance solution. Rather, you should be aware of the types of materials you own and the best ways to take care of them.
For example, an alcohol-based cleanser might be required to clean a microfiber fabric. However, that same product could easily damage a leather finish. Similarly, materials such as glass and metal often call for a multi-surface cleaner. You shouldn’t, however, use this product on your wood furniture.
Spend some time familiarizing yourself with your luxury furniture pieces, their materials, and the different types of cleaning products that are safe to use on them!
Everyday Care Tips
Most pieces require very simple maintenance in terms of regular care. Here are a few everyday maintenance tips!
- Keep your furniture away from direct sunlight. UV rays will cause your pieces to lose their lustre over time.
- Avoid any cleaning products featuring harsh chemicals, as they will eat away at your finish.
- Avoid all abrasive cleaning tools, such as steel wool and harsh sponges.
- Always use coasters and placemats with food and drink items.
- Add felt pads to the bottom of your furniture’s legs to avoid damaging the furniture or the floor.
- Try to dust your furniture every few days at a minimum.
Best Cleaning Techniques
To keep your luxury furniture clean, use these techniques for each material!
- Wood: Dust with a soft cloth every few days. Once each month, mix a small amount of detergent with warm water and gently wipe your pieces down with a microfiber cloth. This will help lift any stubborn marks or stains.
- Upholstery: Vacuum your upholstery with a cloth brush once per week. To remove spots, gently blot the area with a light dish soap solution. Before steam cleaning, first ensure that the furniture has a W (wet) or WS (wet cleaning and solvent) code.
- Metal: Dust your pieces regularly. Once each month, use a damp cloth with warm water to lift any dirt, grime, or debris.
- Leather: Dust with a soft cloth every few days. For a deeper clean, use a microfiber cloth and gently wipe down the leather with a 50/50 water-vinegar solution.
Direct Interiors Can Help!
At Direct Interiors, we offer a wide range of luxury options at our designer furniture store—many of which are easy for the everyday homeowner to maintain.
In addition to giving you a tour of our 50,000-square-foot showroom, our seasoned interior designers in Ontario can equip you with specific advice on how to properly care for your investment pieces!
– Nataile Froom
– Anita B
I have always found the sales and support staff at Direct to be very accommodating and service oriented. I highly recommend Direct Interiors to design professionals and anyone who is interested in creating a beautiful home.”